July 26, 2010

Help!



I'm feeling a little hobby overload or task overload. Whatever you'd like to call it. I blame it on a certain awesome friend of mine.

After not seeing her for a few months, she answers the usual "What have you been up to?" question with a list that includes trapeze classes, retreats, and new adventures.

My reply was "Um...you know, same old, same old".



Feeling pretty envious, I did nothing for a few weeks. Registered for a Japanese class that inevitably got canceled, and whined and whined to the cute boy at home.

Then, I decided that saying, "Yes" to my neighborhood book club would not be too tortuous. I enjoyed reading The Hunger Games and talking about it with other women.

I knit a baby sweater (and only stopped when I realized my skill level was slightly lower than baby sweater).

I bought a discount 4 class pass to anti-gravity yoga and did not give up after the first class when I knew it wasn't for me.

I grew basil (which has yet to both grow or die, leaving me in an unfun state of limbo).

I bought a class pack at Bikram Yoga Sandy and have yet to give up on it after the first week.

Besides the two books I read for book club, I read three others on top of that.

I wrote five pages to a screenplay I was working on, and attended my friend's Story Group at the Broadway.

I'm pooped, man. And yet, when the dust settles and I stop complaining (sorry!), I feel better now then a few months ago when I was in such a rut. I guess I'm still learning to find the right balance of activities I actually enjoy. I'm glad my friend pushed me to think about going out of my comfort zone even if only by her example.

1 comment:

Goshzilla said...

It's weird how many times I've heard the term "Bikram Yoga" come up in the past little while. Various sources commenting, one of them being a bonus disk for the last season of "Avatar". You're the first person who ever introduced me to what I can only think of as "exercise in Gehenna", so I blame you for that further erosion of my innocence. But it seems to make you happy, so, I guess the psychic shock of learning about people who work out while being boiled alive is bearable, in that context.

Here's to doing stuff! I hope adventure opens up a little more for you in the days to come.