September 18, 2010

Girls kick what?


I don't admit to being completely in the loop of current trends. Sometimes I only get as far as knowing where to steer clear. As how my life goes, I've been running into a theme this past couple of months.

This has brought me onto the current bandwagon of The Hunger Games. No, I don't know what fans of The Hunger Games call themselves, but surely it's in tow with Grobanites and Twi-hards, right? (I kid, I kid)



Katniss Everdeen is very much on my mind right now. It wasn't even the obvious girl-kicking-butt that did it for me. Katniss mourns a dad that birds still to hear sing. I only have one homemade recording of my dad's singing voice, and when I listen to it, which isn't often, it both breaks my heart and makes me smile.

Her experiences are mostly strangers to my own and increase with each book, but I love how she fights for her family and for herself. Instead of submitting to a boy that cares for her and that she might care for back, she wrestles with the idea of being with him for hollow reasons. Rather than aligning herself with the strongest at the Quarter Quell, she listens to her instincts and trusts them enough to let in true allies. And when she's asked to be a symbol of a revolution, she sets conditions.


Along with Katniss, I have been thinking a lot of Tiffany Aching. I raced through Wee Free Men, A Hat Full of Sky and Wintersmith as quickly as The Hunger Games trilogy. I can't wait for I Shall Wear Midnight which comes out in a couple of weeks.

Tiffany knows that she will be a witch. A part from the disadvantage of having a very un-witch like name, she has a confidence and strength that makes me admire and envy her. She's still young, still learning, but she trusts in her friends the Nac Mac Feegle. She trusts that opening her eyes and then opening her eyes again is more valuable than using magic with a k. Plus, just once I'd like to thwart a green water monster with only a frying pan and unbridled fury.

Next in the list of girls that seem to have formed a carousel around my brain is Nikita. True, Maggie Q provides much of the ardour but I enjoy what I've seen so far. It's too soon to say whether or not the show will be added into my rotation, but I'm hopeful for good things.

And last, at the request of my sister, I went to see Easy A. There were funny moments and less funny moments, but I enjoyed the dynamic that Olive had with her parents (the amazing Stanley Tucci and Patricia Clarkson). Emma Stone delivered even awkward dialogue with sincerity and though I didn't believe for one second she was the invisible girl in highschool, I loved this moment of pure dorky girlishness.



And yes, I have done something similar with Mariah Carey, Ingrid Michaelson, various Glee soundtracks, Neko Case, The Carpenters, Lauryn Hill...sheesh, what power ballad have I NOT done this with?

2 comments:

Goshzilla said...

I really like Katniss, and I'm certain I'd think Nikita is an all right sort of a young lady, if I had some degree of exposure to her. But Tiffany, now there's an awesome young lady.

I'm very excited for the next Aching book, and still a little worried that it'll be the last we see from Sir Pratchett (who BTW, forged a sword out of SPACE METAL!).

But yeah, I think it's a good thing to see young ladies who are butt-kickers, and who can do it without having to necessarily become men. I mean, if someone wants to be a man, well, more power to them, but I think it's encouraging to see characters written who can be tough, but still not have to adhere to stereotypes.

If that makes any sense.

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to go and treat Snurkle to a rendition of "My Heart Will Go On". (I've learned my lesson, though. This time? Not going to fill the bath tube up with ice cubes.)

Amber said...

Yea for girls kicking major trash!! I'm sure I will get to The Hunger Games soon and we'll dish. As for the moments of pure girly dorkiness, keep on singin' em'! Because you know I'm right there with ya!! GIRL POWER!